[etni] Re: Fwd: Parts and Whole

  • From: "bronya_k" <genady_b@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>, <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Etni'" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 20:44:38 +0300

For a large class, we can do this activity in 2 smaller groups. Each member
of the group gets one puzzle piece(you can cut pictures from
newspapers/magazines/). Students have a few minutes to put related pieces
together to form the whole picture. When the puzzle is put together, a
teacher goes around and each pupil explains the importance of his piece to
the whole puzzle. All of these different parts make up a whole.

Option: Parable "A Wise Teacher and a Jar"-flowcharting-there are numerous
sites on the NET-it's also a popular activity with our scouts

The HOTS of Parts and Whole           Materials needed:  Rocks of the same
size, sand, two cups of coffee, any glass jar, and pebbles
   Procedure:
Fill the glass jar with the rocks. Then ask the students if the jar is full.
(They will agree it is).
Pick up a box of pebbles and pour them into the jar. Shake the jar lightly.
The pebbles will roll into the open areas between the rocks. Then ask the
students again if the jar is full. (They will agree it is)
Pour sand into the jar. The sand will fill up everything else. Ask once more
if the jar is full. (The students will answer positively).
Then produce 2 cups of coffee from under the table and pour the contents
into the jar, effectively filling the empty space between the sand. (The
students will .).
Ask students what the demonstration represented.
 "This jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things -
your G-d, family, children, health, friends and your favorite passions -
things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life
would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your
job/school, house and your grades. The sand is everything else - the small
stuff.
If you put the sand in the jar first, there is no room for the pebbles or
the rocks. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy
over the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are
important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your
happiness. Spend time with your family. Take time to get medical check-ups.
Enjoy your hobby. There will always be time to clean the house. Take care of
the "rocks" first, the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The
rest is just sand.
And coffee just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem,
there's always room for a cup of coffee with a friend. So, our life consists
of various parts.

The HOTS we used here is Distinguishing Parts and Whole

Where else in real life do we use this HOTS?
Suggested answers: compiling puzzles; in school when your friends, teachers,
school management, the school building, your grades compose one big whole;
your school life;
detectives use different pieces of evidence to recreate how crimes are
committed; weaving carpets ; interior designers use various elements of
interior to create interior design in our rooms/houses; garden designers
create beautiful gardens  combining different plants, flowers and other
elements of garden design; teachers giving a final grade; paying all bills;
novels are divided into chapters; plays-into acts and scenes; cars consist
of various parts, etc.

From: Debbie Mishol <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Parts and Whole

Hi,

How do you present the HOTs Parts and Whole?

I was wondering if you can help me with creative ideas, a  Powerpoint,
Youtube video activity for teaching this specific HOT. I searched the net
but couldn't find anything I liked.

Thanks,

Debbie

** post to list - etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx