[etni] Fwd: Non-readers

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 14:24:42 +0200

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jenifer Byk <byk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Non-readers

Marlene is right when she says that some (many) pupils are already
considered non-readers by the 4th grade.

Schools have different policies; some start in 1st grade, some in
second.  Some teach reading in 2nd grade; some not till the end of
3rd.

One of the problems is the multiplicity of books to chose from, not
all of which are equally good.  Furthermore, many teachers are not
taught how to teach reading.  This would not matter so much, nor would
the teachers’ sometimes poor level of English, if they were well
trained on the books they are actually using.

In my experience, starting to each reading in 2nd grade is very
effective if you teach it slowly.  There is a wonderful book for
teaching reading which actually works at any level, even adult – Sound
Reading.  I would like to see it as an accompanying workbook for all
beginners.  No, I’m not being paid to tout this book, but I have found
it works even with adult dyslexics.

Well- taught reading at the beginning really pays off in later grades.
 Unfortunately, a lot of the work in class is aural; in a class of 35,
many children have absolutely no idea of what is being taught. “That’s
a window.” could be anything from the window, to the sky outside, to
the tree in the yard or whatever.

As to Gil’s comments on the modular exams, I think, with respect, that
he may not be quite sure how they work or what the cost of
administering them really is.  As to students not wasting their summer
holiday retaking the exam, I leave it to other teachers to comment.
All I know is that I have never had one student who did not take the
moed bet, even if their average was 98!

Jennifer
** ETNI Blog and Poll
   http://ask-etni.blogspot.co.il/