[etni] Fwd: In-Service Teachers' Course: Debate Workshop 2012-2013

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 18:49:48 +0200

From: "bronya_k" <genady_b@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: In-Service Teachers' Course: Debate Workshop 2012-2013

Sia'h vaSig: The Israel Debating Society
Yoni Cohen-Idov Centre for Debate and Rhetoric
In-Service Teachers' Course: Debate Workshop 2012-2013
30.10.2012-12.03.2013

*       You will learn how to introduce debate (with all the four domains
integrated) into the English classroom.
*       International and national coaches will teach the course, with the
assistance of participants and winners of international championships.
*       The workshop is headed by Yoni Cohen Idov, European and World
Universities Debating champion (-2010), and High School Team Israel and
Hebrew/ Tel-Aviv  University Debating Team Coach.
*       30 hours -(also  Ofek) gmul granted
*       The number of participants is limited (25).
*       You will have at least eight hours of practical debate experience.

Convener: Bronia Kabakovitch
genady_b@xxxxxxxxxxxx and broniak57@xxxxxxxxx
052.3954625(phone calls or texting)
08-9211317

10 meetings  17.00-19.30

Atid Lod High School for Sciences
33 Shapira Street Lod
30.10, 13.11,27.11,04.12, 25.12, 08.01,29.01,12.02,26.02,12.03

Program: English Proficiency - Anchoring Public Speaking and Debating Skills
in High School

There is perhaps no skill more important in life than being able to persuade
others in your point of view. Why? Because most of the obstacles we must
overcome in order to achieve our heart's desire are shaped not by the laws
of nature, but by the deeds of others. Be it a successful relationship, a
salary raise or just the satisfaction of demonstrating our intellectual
prowess, most of our desires require us to be able to accurately convey our
message, to convince that we deserve something, or to show we are right.
Therefore, our measure of success is, to a large extent, a product of our
communication and social skills. In order to achieve our full potential, we
must maximize these skills.

Moreover, there is perhaps no better way to teach how to convey your ideas
in an accurate and persuasive manner than debating. Fun and passionate on
one hand and educational and scholarly on the other, debating is the most
efficient tool to acquire and develop skills of oral expression, persuasion,
logic, analytical and critical thinking and of course use of language, in
addition to such values as civil discourse, mutual understanding and mutual
respect.

The aim of this course is both to allow teachers to obtain and sharpen the
many skills debating improves themselves, in addition to giving them the
tools to facilitate the development of these skills in their students. The
course employs a unique system of learning and emphasizes active
participation instead of lectures. This means that all participants in the
course will receive practical experience in the field of public speaking,
debating and rhetoric. Furthermore, you will be able to implement many of
the activities to foster the skills acquired in your own classrooms.

The theory and the exercises in the course improve, among others, the
following skills and values

-          Logic
-          Analytical thinking
-          Critical thinking
-          Interpersonal communication
-          Oral expression
-          Public speaking
-          Persuasion
-          Boosting self-confidence
-          Overcoming stage fright
-          Listening skills
-          Teamwork
-          Pluralism
-          Tolerance of different ideas.
-          Civil discourse
-          Vocabulary
-          Common knowledge
-          Thinking under pressure
-          Performance skills

Syllabus

Session 1
Introduction to effective public speaking:
1.      Speaking style - how to sound persuasive
2.      Speech structure - how to make sure you are understood

Session 2
3.      Argument structure - how construct a winning argument
(includes hands-on practice and exercise)

Session 3
Introduction to debating:
1.      Rules and rationale
2.      Speaker roles and techniques
3.      Practice Debate

Session 4
Effective Persuasion:
1.      The areas of clash - How to find the right arguments
2.      Logic chains - How to make sure your argument cannot be tackled

Session 5
Advanced argumentation:
1.      Clash - How to pinpoint the argument
2.      Rebuttal - How to overcome the opponent
(includes hands-on practice and exercise)
3.Points of Information

Session 6
Debating in the classroom
1.      Adjudication and feedback - What to look for and how to say it
2.      Translating debating skills to daily life
3.      Games and activities anchoring higher-order thinking skills in EFL
classrooms

Session 7
1.Effective listening -flowcharting
2.Critical thinking
3. Constructive feedback

Lesson 8  Hands-on Training-Debating- Debating-Debating -implementing the
skills and knowledge acquired in the classroom

Session 9 Planning the program implementation in EFL classrooms. Focus on
research and debating procedures. Designing the unit.

Session 10-Teachers' presentations and feedback.
** ETNI Blog and Poll
   http://ask-etni.blogspot.co.il/
** Etni homepage - http://www.etni.org
** post to ETNI List - etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx