[etni] Fwd: I going/do you going?

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 10:23:20 +0200

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jenifer Byk <byk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: I going/do you going?

The problem with the over-teaching over the present progressive is not
only that Israelis misuse it; it is that it leads to total confusion
with other tenses.  It doesn’t matter who I teach – Israeli born Jews,
Arabs,  Druse; immigrants of all sorts, young and old, the present
progressive is the ‘default’ tense.  The auxiliary verb, being
unstressed,  tends to be dropped, producing ” I going”.
When the simple is introduced, whether present or past, “Do  you
going?” and “Are you go?” “Did  you were? etc. are generated.

If one avoids the progressive for as long as possible, many of these
mistakes don’t appear.

The meizav for 5th grade definitely tests for knowledge of present
progressive.  Obviously, all one has to do is change what is required
on the meitzav.

Jennifer