[etni] Fwd: Fwd: Module C

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 07:02:25 +0300

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Adi Orian <austenorian@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Module C

A mistake should be acknowledged, that being said - dear teachers, we
should teach our students to find answers on their own and not just
copy paste according to line numbers, let alone think for themselves.

Dr. Adi Orian, PhD.

> From: Adilan Druckmann <adilan2@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Module C
>
> I would like to share this experience with the forum:
>
> As soon as we could get a copy of Module C bagrut one of our teachers,
> who is a native speaker, set to answer it. Soon enough she found the
> mistake in question 5, where the lines where the answer would be were
> wrong.
> She called the ministry to ask for permission to tell the students
> about the mistake. The conversation went as follows:
> Teacher: I want to report a mistake in Module C
> Ministry representative: Are you talking about question 5? (she must
> have known about it already)
> Teacher: Yes. Shouldn't we let the students about it?
> MR: No, the students should be able to deal with it.
>
> This response is aweful for at least two reasons. The first one is
> something that even a person who is not an English teacher would
> understand, and that is that it lacks the minimal decency. Aren't we
> supposed to set an example of the principle that a person who makes a
> mistake should admit it and try to correct it?
> The second reason is that a basic principle of the bagrut in English
> is that the students are supposed to follow instructions. In questions
> such as, Name ONE (reason)... the will get penalized if they give two
> reasons. Here they had to choose: either write something that's wrong
> but is within the lines mentioned, or write the correct answer, but
> not follow the instructions.
> There's another aspect to this, in that only the very good students
> (who are usually not the ones taking C) will be able to see that there
> is a mistake there. Again, set an example of fair play, anyone?
** ETNI Blog and Poll
   http://ask-etni.blogspot.co.il/
** Etni homepage - http://www.etni.org
** post to ETNI List - etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx