[etni] Fw: winter Bagrut

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 08:09:54 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Nathan Singer - nate1@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: winter Bagrut

Hi all,

I have been following with interest the comments being made about the winter
Bagrut.
Being mainly a 3pt. teacher, I would like to comment on the relevant
modules.

 Regarding module A, the reading exercises were ok but the listening was
simply:

"OUTRAGEOUS" !!!!!!!!!!!

Besides the fact that three exercises are simply too much for the weak
students to do in the time given.
I'm curious did any English teachers who undoubtedly questioned their
students after the test get a proper response as to what a "car free day"
is?????
I won't even go into the speed at which it was read.

As for module C, it was very difficult and the questions were NOT clear.

What is trying to be assessed by these tests?? Certainly not the students
proficiency on a 3pt level!

If that IS the goal, the subjects need to be known to the students from
their every day lives, otherwise it's a lost cause.
The listening needs to be read at a SSSSLLLLOOOOOWWWW pace , suitable for
WEAK pupils.
The questions shouldn't be mind games but rather clear cut WH questions to
which the students will form proper answers in English.

Someone on the list asked if anyone pays attention to what we say about the
Bagrut. I'd have to say no. I have been complaining about the A module since
its birth as have many others.
Nothing has come of it. True, one listening comp. was dropped but I doubt
that it was because of anything we said and it still is far from being a
solution.

Please don't ask me how my Ethiopian students felt after the tests.

So, another Bagrut goes by and we will continue to console our students
after the tests until those who design them realize the problems and make
the appropriate changes.

All the best,

Nathan Singer

Issue #2 of The Rag is now online!!!
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/

Add yourself / Update your entry to "Who's Who on Etni"
http://www.boker.org.il/etni/whoswho.htm