[etni] Fw: to Maxine, re HOTS and intentions

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:11:02 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eleanor" <eleanorz541@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: to Maxine, re HOTS and intentions

To Maxine:
You wrote " The letter of the English coordinators, although it has many
valid points, shows that its intention is to destroy something that has so
much to offer "

The  letter of Dec 8 sent by the Jerusalem coordinators (as well as the
letter sent in Nov)  clearly and specifically says

"the English teachers of 30 Jerusalem high schools; ( and) as of today, 59
SCHOOLS nationwide are refusing to implement the new bagrut - literature
program as it currently exists. "

The coordinators who signed the letter include many who took the course as
well as others who didn't  -- they ONLY  read the  booklet and conferred
with teachers on their staffs who did take the course.  The group - just
from Jerusalem--  includes ( as the letter states) "teacher trainers,
counselors, English coursebook writers and writers of textbooks on teaching
literature!"  Hardly a group ignorant of HOTS or literature or of teaching
literature.

They  (we ) are all dedicated and experienced teachers.  There is no
justification in casting aspersions.  Our intention is not to destroy
anything nor is to wage a civil war.  We do not accept the program as it
exists and are hopeful that in consideration of the sheer numbers of
committed teachers protesting, a more serious consideration will be given to
the concerns we have raised

Eleanor