[etni] Fw: three long questions

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 16:04:42 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: mush room - mushroomhead.room@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: three long questions

Dear Colleagues,

I need your help with three questions.

1. Who is proud in the following sentence:, the children, the parents, or
could it be a situation for either?

" Parents say that their children are working harder and are very proud of
the rewards they have earned."

2. If a question about the text from which I am quoting the above sentence
asks about one positive result of a certain new educational program in a
certain school, can " Parents say that their children are working harder" be
one of the answers?

I'm asking the second question because if read out of the context of the
paragraph, one might think that parents are perhaps complaining. Or maybe
I'm not right!

3.The following appears in a Module C text:(McKay was a junior-high school
student, who was fed up with the bad language around him, and therefore
decided to do something about it _ the following:)

"He challenged his schoolmates to stop. They were shocked. They didn't
realize they were doing anything insulting. MckKay told his friends that if
they wanted to be friends with him, they couldn't curse.

His friends didn't like the idea at all."

One of the questions is: "His friends didn't like the idea at all." What
idea is the writer referring to?

I'm asking you because our staff is divided on this one. Some say there is
one idea which is to stop swearing. Others say there is an additional idea
which is to stop being his friends if they don't stop cursing. But, then, if
indeed there are two different ideas, shouldn't it be " ......didn't like
this idea..." ?

I wonder what you say and thank you in advance for your help.