[etni] Fw: technologically starved

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 09:05:02 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Esther Revivo - estherrv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: technologically starved

It is 5.00 a.m. and I am "girding my loins" (sounds like something Barry S.
would say) to begin today's Pesach tasks. But first I took the newest ETNI
poll. Some points to ponder:

1- Our Eng. room no longer has a working t.v. or tape/discman!

2- I have 6 girls in my 10th grade class with "hakra'at sheelon." I asked
their parents to purchase an m.p.3 specifically for English use. None did
and obviously my school can't afford it, so I test orally during the unseen;
on breaks; etc.

3- In the mekif where I once taught we had frequent access to one of 3 p.c.
rooms. Now I'm lucky to get into the p.c. room once a semester if and when a
p.c. programming or "cheker" lesson there is cancelled. (At those times the
science and Eng. teaches beg and "fight" for first dibs at the computers!!)

Why am I writing this? I do not know how to use an m.p.3 but could easily
and willingly learn from my daughter if I had to. I believe most colleagues
are like myself and don't use state of the art technology simply because
their schools resemble mine, and not those glorious Eng. labs I see up on
the REED website.

If you DO have an English room like those showed on the REED site,
appreciate it. If your situation is similar to mine, I commiserate with you!
We Israeli English teachers have been praised in many forums for being the
most open-minded and willing to try new things among all h.s. teachers. This
I've heard often over my 33 year long career at places such as the Open U.
and at other general in-service courses in front of teachers from my entire
school. That's probably why we are chosen as guinea pigs for new programs.
(No, I'm not gonna use the H**S word! :)

Until the country sees fit to evenly distribute resources this will continue
to be the situation: Two distinct "Israels" -- the wealthy sector in central
Israel and the peripheral areas in Development towns both north and south.

Have a lovely Pesach all, with much joy! (... and no rockets! We've had
color red several times lately....)

Esther Revivo
Ulpanat Tzvia Sedot Negev

** The ETNI Rag **