[etni] Fw: re: projects and oral exams

  • From: "Ask" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:33:52 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: "Esther Revivo" <estherrv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: projects and oral exams

I agree with everything that Michele wrote 100%!  I mentioned here
several months ago that since I teach weak 4 pointers, I ask them what they
want to write about then provide them with about 3 websites with English
THEY can handle, so they can get started. (Yes, this takes my private time,
but saves about 2 weeks minimum of classroom hours, and therefore  is well
worth it.) If they find other sites, I insist on checking them out before
they begin (jot down address and check in future for copying.)
Since the NBA began, our pupils love project-time, no matter who their
English teacher. This might be in part due to the fact that for about 15
years we have been doing something called a portfolio from seventh grade
onward. (I wish I could remember the name of the lovely lady who gave a
hishtalmut at the Marpad in Azata about this idea and got us started years
ago.) The portfolio includes written work  on a subject of their choice as
well as book reports; an exam + test correction; a feedback page about how
they feel their English has improved over the year; etc. The main difference
between this and the NBA project is that they can use HEBREW sources, but
the pupils at least get used to writing in English. And, no portfolio is
accepted without all the drafts included.
 So, when 10th grade rolls around, nobody faints at the idea of writing a
project in English. During the 6-8 weeks we spend on projects, I'd say only
about 5-8% of the kids have been irresponsible-- looked to play around and
not work seriously. I think that along with most things we do in the
classroom, if we are not enthusiastic about projects, that is communicated
to the kids. Kids love the internet, and love using it to check information
that interests them. Let them choose to write about what interests them and
add to YOUR enthusiasm, you have a recipe for success! (The oral tester 2
weeks ago complemented us about our girls' original choices of projects and
said she really enjoyed testing them.) Since I mentioned the oral exam, let
me say that I studied Spanish for 8 years, got a 95 on my NY state regents,
but couldn't speak to save my life until I got to college and took a course
in Spanish where we could ONLY speak Spanish!!! Change the oral exam by all
means if necessary, but remove it? NO WAY!!
Good luck on Tuesday folks! Esther Revivo, Ulpanat Tzvia Sedot Negev

Michele wrote:
We are English teachers in a Hebrew system and we do teach EFL.  However,
English is a language and we use a language to communicate and as a tool for acquiring knowledge. The project requirement is to get the kids to USE the language for a purpose. However we do the projects, as long as they serve
the purpose of getting the kids to use the language is positive.  We don't
have to be ridiculous and try to get them to write research papers like many of us from English speaking countries wrote in HS and JHS. But we do need
to give them the opportunity to use English and and be literate and acquire
knowledge from the wealth of information out there in print, media etc.  A
project doesn't have to be complicated to facilitate learning in English.

Batya wrote:
I feel like a broken record.
We are English teachers in a Hebrew system.  Our job should not be to teach
research, summarizing, public speaking, general grammar etc.
We should be complaining using all tools and media to the parents, Education Ministry, media etc!
It's outrageous and incompetent that our students don't learn these things
from their Hebrew curriculum.
I make my projects bare minimum with the object to give composition practice to my students, and I would do the same if I was teaching 4 and 5 points.
Time is minimal, and there's no need to cheat when it's so simple.
If you're interested in my latest 3 point project, please write, and I'll
send it to you.

Issue #2 of The Rag is now online!!!
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/

Add yourself / Update your entry to "Who's Who on Etni"
http://www.boker.org.il/etni/whoswho.htm