[etni] Fw: re: orals

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 23:14:09 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Motti" <motti46@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [etni] orals

I  for one agree with your tester

"our well prepared students were very upset." is actually a euphemism for
students who memorised summaries they wrote at home. Does such a memorized
speech tell us much about the communication skills of that pupil? I think
not. When I hear such a memorized artificial speech I stop it after a few
seconds.

Mordechai Mendelkern

Aviva wrote:
> Today, at our "oral" exams we had a really nice tester - so nice in fact
> that she wanted to give a grade for the project even if the students
> hadn't written one- those who were just too lazy to do it. She said that
> if they could speak about a subject why not give them credit for their
> ability to speak for two minutes. Not only that - she says this is done
> quite often! Why not help those students? When we insisted that the
> maximum grade would be 40 (for the interview) she thought we were rather
> strict!
> Another tester refused to allow our girls to speak for 3 minutes about the
> project and insisted only on asking questions. I showed her the rubric
> however she said that she has tested this way for years and has no
> intention to change now! Needless to say, our well prepared students were
> very upset.
>
> Any other interesting stories out there?

** The ETNI Rag **
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/
Much more than just a journal