[etni] Fw: re: dovrei anglit teachers

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mike1302@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 08:36:07 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: <marlenegay@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: dovrei anglit teachers

   Dovrei anglit teaching emphasizes less the mechanics of language, i.e.,
grammar/vocabulary accuracy and more creative aspects of language,
especially literature. Even at the basic levels, where basic decoding skills
are taught - it is assumed that the native speaker pupil has a basic
vocabulary, at least orally (or aurally), on which to build on and for which
s/he is tested on. However, in wealthy neighborhoods it has become a status
symbol to be in Dovrim, so standards have dropped. So out of some 40 pupils,
maybe 10 are really dovrim.
   Books and courseware mostly come from abroad (England or the States)
because the level taught to Israelis is too easy for the good native
speaker. If you end up using unseens (articles), the content intended for
the teenager usually doesn't suit the younger learner. However, language
arts, viz., grammar and vocabulary exercises can be gleaned from Israeli
workbooks. I haven't found the perfect balance in a single textbook and
suggested to my colleage that we should write our own... Well, someday. BTW,
there's a meeting soon in Kfar Saba of dovrei anglit teachers to brainstorm
these issues.
   To answer your question - there used to be a course (hishtalmut) for
teachers of dovrei anglit in Kfar Saba and the lecturers were mostly
teachers at the American School in Kfar Saba. There also used to be a
Madricha (counselor). Now I think you can get advice at any teaching
college. The teaching is supposed to be as is practiced in English speaking
countries - or at least one level above grade level here.
Marlene