[etni] Fw: re: dictionaries

  • From: "Ask" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 19:45:29 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: "sarag" <saragabai@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: dictionaries

I have never heard of a problem like this. We put the oxford dictionary on the book list, and tell the kids they will use it untill the 12th grade. Even the kids who are in "hashalat sfarim" buy their own dictionaries.
If there is a specific problem it is solved.(we once had twins from a family with financial problems, who were both in the same 4 point group. so one of them got a dictionary from the library for tests.)
kids from very low income families get scholoships and can use that to buy a secondhand dictionary,

sara g in israel

Debbie wrote:
I have been trying to find out whether or not the purchase of a dictionary by pupils in 10-12th grade can be considered mandatory.
Despite the fact the the students receive a book list with the name of the specific coursebook./ workbook written clearly on it and the request for an Oxford English English Hebrew or English Hebrew (1pt) dictionary, many don't buy one and as a result, we have problems when asking them to bring a dictionary for a test. Since the Pedagogical head seems to think the dictionaries are classified as " =E7=E5=EE=F8=E9 =F2=F6=F8" it is difficult to insist that students buy one.
In our school students who come from low income families get their books free and are able to get a dictionary for a test from the Library.
Nevertheless, our resources are minimal.
Does the Ministry specify whether or not dictionaries can be put on the same footing as course books??

-------------------------------------------- Visit the ETNI site - http://www.etni.org Send a message to the ETNI list: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Send queries and questions to: ask@xxxxxxxx --------------------------------------------