[etni] Re: Fw: re: Films without subtitles

  • From: "Adele Raemer and Laurie Levy" <raemer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ask@xxxxxxxx>, <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:13:02 +0200

First of all, I am not very proficient in DVDs, but isn't it possible to
watch a DVD without subtitles? (Or even WITH English ones?) If so, can't
that be recorded onto the video? (It would be GREAT if it could be recorded
with English subtitles - also known as "closed caption" I believe. Then you
would have written English input to back up the aural.)

I have been working WITH L1 subtitles for many years - you can make up
worksheets that train them to read the Hebrew AND listen to the English at
the same time, and then they enrich their vocabularies while they are
watching entertainment programs in their spare time. Don't hide them - take
advantage of them! (This was the topic of my masters thesis, before the
possibilities of the DVD;)

Adele

I use electrical tape.  It doesn't leave a mark on the T.V.
Francine

Visit the ETNI site - http://www.etni.org
Send a message to the ETNI list: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Send queries and questions to: ask@xxxxxxxx