[etni] Fw: re: FYI

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:05:28 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: sbshai - sbshai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: FYI

Hi Michele and other readers,

To clarify: I, in turn, was simply trying to explain that your comment about
"closed communities" was extrinsic as far as the issue under discussion was
concerned since these communities are not generally under a Bagrut
matriculation program!

I assume your objection to my posting is based on the fact that I used the
words, in passing, "not deserving of our concern" when relating to your
point that closed communities have chosen to close themselves off from the
mainstream.  It seemed clear to me that you were using this example as a
point of reference in the discussion about the futility of trying to find
unseens that can take every sector's background into consideration, and I
agreed with the point about "mission impossible".  (As explained, my purpose
was to state that, for the most part, the communities in question should not
be included in any dialogue about the Bagrut.)

As far as some people's worry about a supposed lack of general knowledge in
religious communities goes (though this has not been my overall experience
from teaching in various secular and religious schools), may I point out
that when such a lack is encountered, it can easily enough be filled -- as
some teachers have reported doing.  (Isn't this what we English teachers do
in any case, no matter where we may happen to teach?)  Therefore, there is
little need to be concerned about this.  We might better turn our attention
to the harm that is being done to our informed youngsters, who, for example,
too often fall prey to all sorts of Internet abuse.  This is not
closed-mindedness or paranoia -- the statistics are there for all to see!

Best regards,
Batya

Michele wrote:
>Batya and everyone,
>Please don't quote things that were neither said nor implied.  In my post I
>mentioned that closed communities pay a price for their lifestyle.  I did
>NOT say that they are undeserving of our, or anyone else's, concern.
>I was simply pointing out that in order to comprehend written matter,
>general knowledge is necessary.  There is no such thing as a totally
>culturally unbiased test.  There is no such thing as a text without content
>and context.  The greater a person's general knowledge is, the easier it is
>for them to comprehend what they read.   And a certain intellectual
>capacity is needed to comprehend texts on a high school or college reading
>level.
>Please take my posting at face value and not try to read between the lines
>and find things that aren't there.

(Read Batya's original post at -
//www.freelists.org/post/etni/Fw-FYI,5

** The ETNI Rag **