[etni] Fw: re: Achmed's suggested shift in reform ownership

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 06:38:04 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marlene" <marlenegay@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Achmed's suggested shift in reform ownership

There's a private company teaching the weaker students at my school - what
used to be called 3 points and now is module A or B. The method is to teach
exam techniques. Find the answer in the text and copy it according to the
appropriate WH question. No comprehension necessary, or at least minimal
understanding of the question. Spelling is ignored, as most students have
"hakalot" dispensations, so grammar is inessential. Unseens and texts - how
boring. Is that how we should be teaching the lower levels?! No wonder they
hate English. At least in JHS, we can give them more useful English - a bit
of speaking, some stories, vocabulary. Have them use the language, make
sentences. Grammar is so unimportant - just the basics - so you can
communicate.
Bagrut has become an industry in this country. I grew up in a state
(Florida) where there were no matriculation exams. My husband likes to say
that I have an M.A. without bagrut. Students there graduated and went on to
university based on grades, recommendations and also SAT scores (like
psychometric exams).
Thanks to the rain my classes' pre-Hanukah class trip was cancelled, so back
to marking exams or turning in.
Good night!
Marlene

Esther wrote;