[etni] Fw: re: A question of a reverse dictionary

  • From: "Ask" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 23:31:33 +0300

----- Original Message ----- From: "Danny Chernobrov" <danicc60@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: A question of a reverse dictionary

Hello Henry,

The OneLook reverse dictionary can help you with what your looking for, it
gives you a list of words that match your defintion. However, the definition
needs to be concise and accurate otherwise you will get a whole list of
undesired words.

here is the link:
http://www.onelook.com/reverse-dictionary.shtml

I hope it helps,
Daniel Chernobrov

Henry wrote:
Some 15 years ago, while I was teaching at NYU, I was friendly with a visiting Israeli professor of mathematics. I taught him an English word which was completely new to him at the time. The word was: "ubiquitous". Its meaning is: to be found everywhere at all times.

Of late I just couldn't recall this word, no matter how hard I tried. It suddenly came to me this morning in bed.

Now I was wondering whether, in these days of such sophisticated computers, there is what I would call "a reverse dictionary", one in which I could enter the descriptive meaning and come up with the single sought-after word. Naturally, I would prefer it if it were available on the Internet, if it existed at all. If such a program doesn't yet exist, I would submit that it would a valuable contribution to the English language.

** Etni homepage - www.etni.org **