[etni] Fw: more on lit

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 20:58:30 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sharon Tzur" <sharontzu5@xxxxxxx>
Subject: more on lit

Dear Etniers:

First, I wonder on what basis people claim that no one is teaching literature? We do have to give it 30% of the school grade - we do have to report on the literature program to our local inspector. So why does everyone seem to assume that no one is teaching it. I know that our school teaches literature, and so do all the other high schools in our area.

Secondly, by giving the literature program 30% weight in the school grade, we do motivate most of our students to make an effort. As someone correctly pointed out, literature often helps the weakest students because they can study it and do well. Their efforts pay off; which is not always true of the reading comprehension exam.

Lastly, I find that literature is the most popular part of my teaching since we choose pieces that the students find relevant to their lives. We also make a lot of use of film when we teach literature. No matter how we test it, once the emphasis goes back to "prepping" the kids for an external literature exam, we will lose the opportunity that we enjoy now - to teach literature in such a way that it actually interests the students and touches their lives.

Yours,

Sharon Tzur

** Etni homepage - http://www.etni.org or - http://www.etni.org.il **