[etni] Fw: import of english teachers

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 11:23:42 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: matty - emilias@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: import of english teachers

I read the article about importing English teachers from the USA and I think
it's an outrageous idea !

Yes, it is true that most of those whose knowledge of  English is good
prefer to use it in different ways rather than teaching it. But instead of
importing "teachers" from other countries, who aren't even qualified to
teach English at any level, and wasting 70-80% more money on their salaries
and accommodations, why shouldn't the salaries of the local English teachers
be raised significantly, according to the "offer and demand" policy ?
I believe that this way more students would be attracted to study English at
the Israeli Universities aiming at becoming teachers instead of  translators
in high-tech companies, which is ,no doubt, paid much better.
If the Ministry has the budget to pay strangers who have no idea about
teaching English at all, not to mention teaching English as a foreign
language to Israeli pupils plus the fact that these "to be imported
teachers"  do not know Hebrew,
then promoting the local teachers of English would be a much better idea.
emilias@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Write for "The Etni Rag" - http://www.etni.org/etni_rag.htm

Add yourself / Update your entry to "Who's Who on Etni"
http://www.boker.org.il/etni/whoswho.htm