[etni] Fw: handicaps/ National Geographic

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 08:11:46 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Esther Revivo - estherrv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: handicaps/ National Geographic

Hi! I just returned home from a 3 week family visit to the USA; great to be
back.

Firstly, to those on Walla not getting Etni mail. My suggestion: get another
free mail account elsewhere. I did this because for some strange reason, my
brother never got my mail sent via Yahoo! He is Yahoo as well. Moreover, he
is a genius who works in silicon valley, CA. and even he couldn't explain
this. It's actually convenient having 2 mailboxes; some forums I have sent
here, others to Yahoo.

Rana, I agree with you that writing about handicaps in general is simply too
general  and would be extremely difficult to boot. My coordinator had a
pupil deal with stuttering; its social ramifications; treatments; etc. (This
brilliant pupil herself stutters.) I believe she got a 100 on her project. I
think you are right: have them, as you wrote ," ...research handicap in
general with referance to handicaped people's feelings towards their society
and family, and the way society deal with these people." However, let them
choose blindness; limping; a specific learning disability; etc. instead of
talking about handicaps in general.

Regarding a question about use of National Geographic: I have had for many
years a huge bag of all kinds of pictures cut out from magazines, stapled to
cardboard. (Wanted to laminate them, but the school couldn't afford to....;
sound familiar?)
 Sometimes when we learn/ review something in grammar, I give a pile of
pictures to a group of girls and have them write sentences/ paragraphs using
whatever grammatical point we're reviewing. Then, each group will show a
picture or two and read to the class what they have written. The pupils love
the pics, and National Geographic has the most gorgeous photos. Lucky you to
have this magazine!

Of course, before cutting them up, I would put aside articles on certain
topics you think might be useful for projects.  BTW, their website has a
section for children which is great for weaker pupils writing about animals;
the environment; etc. (i.e. Why is the panda becoming extinct?)

Glad you bagrut markers had life made bearable. Kol Ha'kavod for not giving
in! They need you much more than the reverse!

Have a lovely August,folks! Esther Revivo