[etni] Re: Fw: Re: spelling research

  • From: Galia Kaspi-Sprung <gkaspi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:28:57 +0200

Hi Patricia and etniers
Yes, I was referring to Ladybird. (but somehow it came out wrong!).  I used
the first sets which used the look and see method with great success. I
never used to phonics, but did use some of the writing books. And I was glad
to see at ETAI that they are still available, although it did take some
searching through the catelog.

The fact that the series uses both methods must say something about being
fanatic about one or the other.

Galia

Patricia wrote:
The books I think you are refering to are from the British series of
Ladybird books.    If so, they are definitely not built on the global or
whole word principle - look-and-see words only appear in the very first
books and there are about twelve levels.     Each level has a set of three
books, one of which teaches phonics and writing.    I think the books are
excellent and I have used them to teach reading to non-native children with
great success.    The kids don't seem to notice the boredom of the stilted
stories.

Patricia