[etni] Fw: New Year

  • From: "Ask" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 22:16:20 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: "Esther Revivo" <estherrv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: New Year

Can I put in my 2 cents even though we are now in the second week of
January? (I had a backlog of e-mails due to matkonot; tigbur; etc. ad
nauseum-- sound familiar anyone?:)

Let me preface the below with the fact that my 3 best friends in my public
high school were either Roman Catholic or Baptist, and I am still in touch
with 2 of them! (One , Dr. Susan Galandiuk is a nationally acclaimed surgeon
formerly of the Mayo Clinic) I am NOT your stereotype Orthodox Jew, with an
"us" and "them" mentality. However.....

I grew up in a rural area of the States where anti-semitism was rife. My Dad
was an agricultural engineer who worked with real hicks, many of whom said
straight to his face, "I hate Jews Pinky, but you're different." Also, I got
spit on several times in elementary public school and called "dirty Jew" My
grandparents had a cross burned on their lawn by the KKK in the 1930's.

New Years Eve is the date of the bris of Jesus Christ. One of the perks in
living in Israel for me is NOT having to feel left out/ inferior/ etc. from
Dec. 25th thru Jan. 1st. Ben Gurion proclaimed the founding of a Jewish
State. I wanted to make Aliya and was a zionist way before I became
religious along with my family, and one of the reasons was to be in a JEWISH
state and not suffer anymore as a hated minority.
Yes, by all means should there be freedom of religion and FULL rights and
privileges for citizens of all faiths here in Israel and G-d willing mutual
respect among all  people. But, celebrate the Jan.1st New year? No thank
you! I send e-mail cards to my dear friends abroad with "Seasons' Greetings"
but am grateful that January 1st is not officially celebrated here.

I will now descend from my soap-box and finish checking the 2005 moed B
exam, D module.......then proceed to my E's .......
Good luck next week everyone!!!! Esther

Issue #2 of The Rag is now online!!!
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/

Add yourself / Update your entry to "Who's Who on Etni"
http://www.boker.org.il/etni/whoswho.htm