[etni] Fw: Hakbatzot

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 19:45:43 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Esther Revivo - estherrv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Hakbatzot

I will respond as a former pupil, a survivor of the N.Y. State public school
system. While we did have "regents classes," (those for pupils aiming for a
Regents diploma, as opposed to a vocational or simply "non-regents"
diploma,) the classes were heterogeneous. I remember as a pupil being bored
out of my skull. We studied by rote and never used our brains until entering
university.

The results of heterogeneous classrooms can be compared to clothing marked
"one size fits all," which actually boils down to "one size fits NONE!" The
weakest pupils feel intimidated by the brilliant answers given by their
intellectual classmates; the gifted kids are bored silly, and only a
minority of the middling level pupils have their needs met. Your principal,
anonymous, is a blithering idiot ('scuse me,) for imposing such an idea
without discussing it with his "rakazei miktzoah." Why in heaven does he
HAVE a rakezet/rakaz in each subject if for a weighty decision such as this
one he doesn't consult them?

You have my commiserations! Having survived 18 principals over my 32 year
long career, I finally lucked out when we got our present principal.
Hopefully the ETNI poll will help convince yours to rethink his decision.

All the best- Esther Revivo