[etni] Fw: HOTS isn't so hot?

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 15:05:28 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Daniel Ashkenazy - yosefdaniel99@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: HOTS isn't so hot?

The letter sent on our behalf to the Ministry of Education is excellent. The
way I see it HOTS isn't so hot among our English teachers. I really wonder
out loud if Judy Steiner is even listening to our concerns. However,in all
seriousness I think the HOTS program would work well only in one sector of
the population: native speakers of English. There are increasing numbers of
English speakers, new olim and second generation native speakers who are
bored with the current English program and find it not challenging at all.
They know they can intellectually write the 5 point Bagrut (modules E, F, G)
in grade 10 and some even pass it in 9th grade. So they ask what is the
point of learning English? What do we answer them when their final grade is
not based on literature at all? Maybe HOTS should be for English speakers?
Just a thought for discussion.

--
Daniel Ashkenazy
Educator, Writer, Guide