[etni] Fw: HOTS in L2

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 13:39:04 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: sbshai - sbshai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: HOTS in L2

Hurrah Hadassah!  Finally someone else besides a group of teachers in
Jerusalem -- and she's someone who speaks from experience with HOTS where it
all started -- is bringing up the same valid point that we have been 'hot
under the collar' about ever since we heard the 'not so hot' idea to
browbeat our ESL students with so-called innovate higher order thinking
skills when they learn literature in L2.

Hadassah (and others) will probably disagree about this, but the way I see
it, the phrase "higher order"  refers not to the thinking skills
themselves -- as we've ALWAYS used them in teaching  literature  (though
without insisting that our students parrot their names); rather, the term
comes to remind us that we teachers are being ordered from on high (i.e.,
the Inspectorate/MOE) to force these terms on our students in an attempt to
make them better thinkers!

The ludicrousness of hanging such an albatross on students who are
struggling with basic proficiency in English (I say this after noting a
general decline in 5 point classes in a reputable school where I have been
teaching for 18 years -- and many others report a similar trend ) has been
propounded often enough on ETNI and elsewhere by many of my colleagues.  We
have pointed out all manner of weaknesses and fallacies in the program --
not its stated goals, to which we can easily agree -- just to the proposed
method to achieve them.

The only thing that bears repeating here is Hadassah's point -- why HOTS in
L2 -- which appeared on the petition letter to our Chief Inspector that was
signed by some 34 schools in Jerusalem.

The answer we received essentially said that the Ministry is working on
introducing HOTS in L1 in the elementary schools, which we had suggested was
the most sensible place to start; however, there was no adequate explanation
for the reason we are being told to start this program NOW in EFL.

Our objection to infusing HOTS into literature, a subject which presents
enough of a challenge to most ESL students, was similarly dismissed in the
following words:
"Even now, in high school, teachers can teach the HOTS in different areas of
language learning.  Then, when they start to teach literature, they will
only have to spiral their use of the HOTS and not explicitly teach them."

I'm sure this was said to make us feel better about HOTS as there now
appears to be less rigidity in teaching it, but for me (and many colleagues
with whom I've discussed the issue) this statement makes the whole program
appear more befuddled than ever before.

All things considered, great strides have been made by the nascent group of
high school English teachers in Jerusalem in redefining the parameters of
the HOTS program so that it is more palatable for us and more beneficial for
our students.

It's now time for our colleagues in the rest of the country to make their
voices heard -- and towards this aim, Nina has undertaken the project.  All
you have to do is send her your name so that you can be counted as one who
cannot agree to implement the HOTS program AS IT NOW STANDS.  If you
hesitate now, you may never get another chance -- so GO for it!  Send your
name today to: golomb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wishing us pleasant days ahead,
Batya