[etni] Fw: English Education a non-modular proposal

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 10:18:39 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: Daniel Ashkenazy - ydaleph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: English Education a non-modular proposal

Colleagues and friends,
Laurie's message regarding "teaching English not Bagrut" has prompted me to write this verbose expose on the state of English language instruction in Israel. Our English language instruction in this country fails to make the grade. Modular Bagrut practice papers have replaced the noble benchmarks of the curriculum. All students are suffering.

Weak students bear the brunt of the failure because they forget that English is a language to be enjoyed, spoken and understood. They become obsessed with passing the 3 point (modules A, B, C) or 4 point (C, D, E). The majority of our high school graduates never reach near proficiency in the English language. Our native speakers feel the English program is a waste of time because they know the 5-point (E, F, G) is not based on literature or in any way a challenge for them. Most of my English speakers can write the 5-point Bagrut in grade 10 without difficulty.

This brings me to my next major point. The majority of Jews outside Israel speak English as their first language and each day more and more of them are coming on Aliyah through such wonderful programs as Nefesh B'Nefesh. Their Hebrew is not perfect but most work hard to reach proficiency. We need provide them along with other English speakers an authentic English language program similar to the programs they received in their birth country. We have a unique opportunity to make this program much richer because we can draw upon literature of all English speaking countries without infringing upon cultural taboos or national requirements. Finally a Bagrut should be written which reflects the standard and achievement of these students. Some of you (including Judy Steiner) might argue that we are not an English speaking country and cannot provide a separate program for native speakers. I disagree, as nothing could be further from the truth. Most countries have enrichment classes for their English students. In Canada we had such a program for Hebrew speakers as well.

Our Ministry of Education must find the money to create such programs if we are going to attract and retain the brightest and best youth from English speaking countries. Our students need to achieve all the benchmarks in our stated curriculum and not just passing the grade so they can "get rid of English" and forget how to understand written texts. The English language is crucial to our participation in the global community. When we fail to provide our students with the tools to effectively communicate in that language we fail as educators and as a country.
In the final analysis there is no excuse for students to feel cheated by the education system. We need to provide quality English education for the weak as well as the strong without sacrificing the future of our children for the sake of making the grade or maintaining artificial standards. The Modular Bagrut system fails all students especially those who are 4 or 5-point students. I am sure most of you would agree the module Bagrut is great for mathematics but does not meet the standards of language instruction!

Thank you,

Daniel Ashkenazy

-------------------------------------------- Visit the ETNI site - http://www.etni.org Send a message to the ETNI list: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Send queries and questions to: ask@xxxxxxxx --------------------------------------------