[etni] Fw: Choosing a Project Topic

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 11:55:16 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: s_bcohen - s_bcohen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Choosing a Project Topic

An umbrella topic for the project makes it possible for the teacher to
prepare one set of instructions, and gather a list of sources and resources
that all or most of the class can do. The students can choose their specific
topic, as long as it fits under the "umbrella," e.g. biographies, music,
technology, games/sports, etc.

Although allowing each student to choose her/his own topic gives them more
independence, it causes a logistic nightmare for the teacher. How can anyone
be expected to create instructions for 35 or 40 different topics??

As a compromise, I sometimes offer my students a choice of 3 umbrella
topics, and the class votes on it. One of my classes wrote me a beautiful
letter, requesting that the two top winners of the vote both be accepted,
since it was such a close race. They wrote the letter together and all
signed it, before giving it to me. How could I refuse?

I am also convinced that when the teacher chooses the umbrella topic, he/she
retains control over the content. Remember: the project is an excellent
opportunity to teach important values and educational messages! Don't
abrogate this responsibility because the kids are more interesting in doing
a project about something meaningless or trivial.