[etni] Re: Fw: British teachers strike

  • From: Lev Abramov <lev.abramov@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 15:28:37 +0800

I cannot resist the temptation to mention a few items in the strike article
that caught my eye.
First of all, the name of the British Teachers' organization: National Union
of Teachers = NUT. Looks like they realize that a sane Brit would rather
choose some other kind of gainful employment. It's as if they admit they are
in the wrong line of business.

The next one is the last name of the Schools Secretary. I wonder if it is in
some way connected to his style of leadership and decision-making.

Finally - jokes aside - I'd like to attract the attention of the honorable
audience to the fact that the decision whether to strike or not to strike is
made based on the results of the national poll. I have never heard that the
Irgun/Histadrut leaders sent an e-mail to each union memver asking them to
express their opinion regarding the need to open a strike - I wonder what
they know that the British union leaders do not. Maybe Ran Erez (and the
whole Irgun) could benefit from a crash course in the use of Internet
polling?

And the British teacher's complaint quoted in teh article:  "The more we do,
the more we're expected to do. Teachers spend their holidays planning new
schemes of work, evenings marking books and weekends marking and looking at
target data." Sounds familiar, eh?

Sarcastically yours -

Lev
(from Manila, +35 degrees Centigrade in the shade and 85% humidity).