[etni] [FWD: modules and questions]

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 20:26:16 -0700

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: modules and questions
 From: "Patricia Reifen" <patriciareifen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 Date: Wed, May 19, 2004 2:07 pm
 To: ask@xxxxxxxx

 Hi everyone,

 I have just been reading all the letters posted about the new E, F
 and G modules.    Many Etniers have commented on the prolification of
 open-ended questions and someone noted that many of the new questions demand a
 much higher level of abstract thinking.   With this, I absolutely agree.
 I  have a feeling that the people who created these questions have taken
 Bloom's taxonomy and put 'analysis' and 'inference' at the top of their
  priorities.

 However, they perhaps forget that although the English texts are
 supposed to increase in difficulty not all students who study a second
  language at the highest levels are necessarily capable of analysis or
 inference, especially in a second language.   In my opinion, it should
 not be presumed that just because a student is good in a second language,
 s/he should be tested on the level of his or her thinking skills, especially
 at the Bagrut level.   Surely that can wait for those who eventually reach
 the university level?    If Ofra Inbar reads this list, I am sure that we
 would all appreciate her expert opinion on this.    Are you out there, Ofra?

 What do others feel about this?

 Enjoy life,
 Patricia