[etni] [FWD: any dictionary is a tool]

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 04:42:48 -0700

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: any dictionary is a tool
 From: "howard sibirsky" <howdon@xxxxxxxxxx>

 This question arises. Are we preparing students of English to pass exams are
we preparing them to use this international language for communication?
We  use pencils and pens for writing, radios for broadcasting the L.C. exam.
Paper to write on, and so on.

 As I wrote, any dictionary is a tool to be used. Is it possible that there are
teachers out there who may believe that by making something, like an exam, more
difficult  is thus better?

 I still remember the same arguments used by vocational teachers in regards to
the use of calculators. Who won out? Does anyone hear that their use is a
failure? Is it possible that teachers of English in Israel are so conservative
that any change unfamiliar to them is wrong?

 Thank G-d that Zahal doesn't have that attitude. If it did, we would not be
discussing this point right now.

 Hanan