[etni] [FWD: about E]

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 09:35:35 -0700

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: about E
 From: "cindy komet" <cindy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 Date: Thu, May 20, 2004 8:47 am
 To: ask@xxxxxxxx

 Question 2, module E, seems to have stirred up a lot of discussion.
 I'd like to add three more points:

 1- I think the double reference to line numbers was confusing.

 2-The practice module(s) required the pupils to copy sections from the
text.  The answers were clearly stated in the text.  In fact, many
etniers wrote in saying that their stronger pupils got lower scores than their
weaker pupils.  I instructed my pupils to look for the obvious
answers.  However, in this question, they had to skip over the apparent
answer and hunt for an obscure one.  Then they were required to change
a word to an appropriate derivitive.
Line 7 says,
"...retains its appeal.  The answer is obvious enough."
Line 11 says,
"Such practical considerations, however, mean little to pencil fans.

One Etnier suggested:
>The answer was "obvious" if I remember correctly.

However,  the answer is (might I dare to err online?)
"practical but of little importance" or "of little meaning"

Point 2 is, if the teachers are finding it this difficult to find the
correct answer under such stressful conditions, it is not fair to
expect the pupils to do so.

3- The reader is presented with 3 different opinions in lines 6-10
(oops, I mean 6-18):  the view of the (1)competition, (2)the writer and (3)the
pencil fans.  I think that this is too much to expect in a level E test.

One more comment - I felt so much stress due to all of the modules, the
newness of the exam, etc., that it really effected my ability to focus
and read the test.  I can now truly identify with what these kids go
through when taking the exam!

 -Cindy