[etni] [FWD: Sharon's post]

  • From: <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 05:08:39 -0700

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Sharon's post
From: Esther Revivo <estherrv@xxxxxxxxxxx>

 I must say that I have much respect for Sharon Tzur and her post. I am
opposed to the HOTS program primarily because I do not have the hours to
teach literature with HOTS properly, and I feel this should be done in
the native tongue at a younger age.  Had Maxine asked me to suggest a
compromise proposal, in all honesty, I'd have replied, "Axe the entire
program!!!" However, I'm not an idiot and I believe the chances of
abandoning the HOTS program are as big as my waking up tomorrow morning
on the moon! When the MOE decides to do something, sadly we peons are
not asked for our opinions.

 Sharon has some good concrete suggestions here. Indeed during the HOTS
course (which was the most interesting in-service course I ever
participated in) when I went over the exam, I realized that most pupils
would find it extremely difficult to explain why they chose a particular
HOTS in a second language. Giving more options on the exam and leeway in
how to teach the HOTS less rigidly are a start in finding some
consensus. The exam changes Sharon proposed might convince more teachers
to choose the test over the log.

 The log, which will doubtless enable more pupils the opportunity to
pass the D and F modules, is highly problematic.   The grades will not
be uniform as some teachers will be strict markers while others are
overgenerous. That is grossly unfair. Yet many teachers (like myself) of
weak four pointers feel they have no other viable option.

 I, for one, am glad we have a another year to iron out some of the many
glitches in the HOTS program as it now stands and hopefully get some
needed monetary recompense for what this program demands of us. Thank
you Sharon for making some concrete suggestions instead of just saying
"NO" to a program that so many of us wish would vanish into thin air!