[etni] [FWD: Reading straight off power points]

  • From: <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 07:23:05 -0700

-------- Original Message --------
From: Rivka Lewenstein <rlewen@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Reading straight off power point

Barry,
As a fellow ETAI speaker / attendee, I agree with you. (Everyone who
hates my talks - please come and tell me so to my face.) As a former
conference committee member, however, I can tell you how hard it is to
find enough volunteers to give talks. From my experience, ETAI does try
to weed out the most problematic speakers (at least for the Jerusalem
conference, don't know what goes on in other conferences), but that's
only after getting extensive negative feedback about a speaker.
Regarding the talks you described, you should talk to / e-mail the
conference conveners and tell them about it, and the same goes for
anyone else who had a bad experience. Obviously, tastes differ, so you
might hate a talk that I love, but a talk concluding with "I didn't put
much work into this" would insult anyone, I think.

All the best,
Rivka

Barry wrote:
> I am deliberately sending this to the wider ETNI list, although it
concerns ETAI conferences.
Not long ago a green eyed colleague asked me how much I get per ETAI=20
presentation.
She was shocked to discover that the answer is less than zero.
The point : ETAI presenters are generous volunteers. So, should they
be=20
subject to criticism?
I say, yes. If I've already schlepped out to a conference, I don't want
to see someone reading from a powerpoint presentation word by word.
By time I realize what i've gotten myself into, it's not easy to
extricate myself and leave.
There must be some way that the conveners can weed out such
presenations.
Not long ago, I actually heard someone conclude her talk with, "Well, if
you didn't find this interesting, don't worry, I didn't put a lot of
work into it."
This was Mammash insulting.