[etni] [FWD: Re: NBA frustration]

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 04:18:58 -0700

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: Re: NBA frustration]
 From: "Candella" <candella@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 A few months ago, I noticed that my 5 point Grade 11 and Grade 10 Native
Speakers were doing much better on F/G Module questions than on E Module
questions.  I attributed it to the type of question, checked out Bloom's "Tax"
and proceeded to explain the ins and outs of what was really being asked for.

 For some odd reason, the F/G Module questions seem to be a lot more
straightforward to my students. I think it's because their other courses use
these question types.

 My hope is that the pre-matric ready, set , go which seems to have overtaken
our teaching time this year, will work itself out and we will go back to being
educators and teachers of language appreciation and English literature.

 In my opinion, chasing after grades for three years (ABC,CDE,EFG) skews a
teacher's abilities and his/her relationship with the students.

 The projects are a welcome addition because they give recognition to the PBTs
and projects that most of us have been doing for years. How many times have we
heard the students' wailing because their friends in other schools haven't been
given these assignments. The projects also let us see and appreciate the
various talents that our students have.

 Chag Sameach and wishes for a Verdant Spring,

 Candy Schorer