[etni] [FWD: Re: [FWD: pedal pushers]]

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:34:05 -0700

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: Re: pedal pushers]
 From: "mark woods" <fineartsoffice@xxxxxxxxx>

 "Pedal pushers" were a kind of pant worn by older ladies while
performing gardening chores, or by young ladies who preferred such
attire to more restrictive blue jeans or slacks. Pedal pushers first
appeared hereabouts in the 1950s, as a less weighty alternative to the
blue jeans which became popular attire for American girls during those
years. Bicyclers often rolled the cuffs of their jeans to mid-calf, and
the new pant was named pedal pusher because of the resemblance to such
jeans. However, I do not recall ever seeing a wearer of pedal-pushers
actually riding a bicycle.

 The phrase, "put the pedal to the metal" has never in my experience
referred to bycycling. It means "floorboarding it," i.e. pressing the
automobile's accelator all the way to the floorboard. Thus, the phrase
not only refers to maximum speed but to possible recklessness, or
emergency, as well.

 Mark (age 61) in Oklahoma