[etni] [FWD: NEW bagrut, moed aleph]

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:17:40 -0700

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: NEW bagrut, moed aleph
 From: "ELEANOR ZWEBNER" <eleanorz541@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Kol Hakavod on organizing the letter, petition and statistics.
However,  why has it been removed from the ETNI home page?  Many
schools added their statistics to the 29 schools originally  posted --
what happened to the statistics  and the promise to update them?

Dr. Steiner's letter does not address the problem -- which is the
ridiculously low grades of the best English students. The
"hishtalmuyot" over the past years dealt with the reorganization of the
curriculum around the new jargon and a more modern approach to teaching
EFL;    for the past 2 years,  the projects was the main subject of the
Hishtalmuyot.

The reply  does NOT explain the gap in the student's grades and their
"magen" and certainly not the gap between their
English proficiency and their grades.  Most of the teachers are
experienced bagrut teachers -- have so many of us become poor teachers
overnight, unable to properly assess our pupils?   Has a statistical
comparison been made between the 12th graders' grades (old format) and
the grades of those who took the NEW format exam?   Surely, we are
teachers of English and not ONLY teachers of exams -- has the English
language changed for the new format?  What happens to reliability and
validity of examiinations when the same reading comprehension passages
with different style questions produces these results?

I would like to add, that the "hozer mafmar" of February 2004 (yellow
cover),
most of which -- but not all -- was posted on the web,  NEVER reached
most
Jerusalem schools  as well as other high schools around the country.
This was know by the local inspector as well as the head office in
Jerusalem.

Is anything else being done?

Eleanor Zwebner