[etni] Re: [FWD: Meeting Expectations]

  • From: "Lev Abramov" <lev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ask@xxxxxxxx>, <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:45:22 +0200

Dear BD (it wouldn't hurt to learn your name - or am I supposed to know =
it?
:-) ) -=20

I teach Advanced 1 in a college and can say that the majority of =
students
lack the skills required for successfully processing academic English. =
In
addition to English proper (the usual prefixes/suffixes/connectors =
soup), we
have to teach them paraphrasing and summarizing skills, critical =
thinking,
etc.

Using this festive opportunity, I would like to ask you and others =
involved
in higher ed to present a definition/description of what you call =
college
standards. Oh, I do have my own views - but I want to hear how *you* lay =
it.
Just to make sure we mean the same when we say "academic standards," ok?

Best -

Lev