[etni] [FWD: D module]

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 01:23:40 -0700

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: D module
 From: "barkan michal" <barkanmi@xxxxxxxxxx>

 Dear Colleagues,

The winter exam is behind us.  I would like to hear your reactions to
the following answer on the D module question 6:

"What criticism is made regarding the Ciintjazz course?

For some students it is:"

A student's answer:
in fact an excellent introduction to playing jazz piano

Is this answer correct? At first sight (thought) the word criticism
leads one to a negative connotation: finding the faults of
and that would mean that the student's answer presented here is
incorrect.  I looked up "criticism" in The American College Dictionary
and I found:

1.   act or art of criticizing, esp. of criticizing literary or artistic
work
2.   act of passing  judgment as to the merits of anything
3.   act of passing severe judgment; censure; faultfinding

I went on to define "criticize" according to the same dictionary.  I
found:

1.   to make judgments as to merits and faults
2.   to find fault

In both definitions the dictionary brings "merits" before "faults".

I looked up "merit" to be thorough:

Merit: 1. claim to recommendation, excellence, worth
          2. something that entitles to reward

After rereading the question and rethinking the meaning of the question
(with the use of the dictionary as my authority) I  myself have
concluded that the student's answer is correct, as is the expected
answer:

It is. above their level      or something similar.

For me this was a good lesson in positive thinking.  What about you?
What about the accepted answer at the marking station?

Yours,
Yehuda Geller