[etni] [FWD: Courses @The Schiffman Institute]

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:39:41 -0700

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: Courses @The Schiffman Institute
 From: "lev" <lev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 Dear all -

 We are up and running again - the site is on, access to courses
restored.

 For the new school year, we have prepared several new courses, in
addition
 to the oldies that have undergone a serious facelift. All the courses
have
 been written by teachers and for teachers, all are completely
asynchronous;
 all require two f2f meetings which - ask those who have taken our
courses -
 are fun and in easily accessible locations.

 Miri Yochanna has written "Teaching Beginner English with Phonics." The
 course starts next week, and we still have a few places - don't miss
this
 opportunity, especially if you teach elementary or junior high and have
only
 been in the system for under 5 years - you are in for a hefty discount.

 Peter Freedman's "Designing and Implementing Web-Based EFL Projects"
will
 help those who prefer to honestly comply with the NBA requirements
rather
 than to fake grades for projects never done. The course starts in
November,
 so you still have time to register.

 "Mining the Internet: Searching, Evaluating and Using Information in
the EFL
 Classroom" is Dr. James Backer's course which you might consider taking
if
 you already use the Web for teaching, but want to make sure you're
doing it
 the right way. For a person as busy as Jimmy, an effort like creating
and
 teaching this course is truly commendable; thank you Jimmy! The course
 starts in mid-September, so hurry up folks.

 In addition to the two courses I've been teaching for a number of
years, I
 will be teaching "Creating and Managing an Educational Website with MS
 FrontPage" - a very practical, hands-on course in educational web
design and
 management (you could call it webmastering, in some sense). Those of
you who
 have learned HTML programming or have been using Netscape Composer for
your
 website building will find FrontPage (at least in its XP incarnation)
quite
 a smart and user-friendly program that can greatly extend your
web-building
 capabilities making your work much faster, easier and more pleasant.
This
 course is also a pre-requisite for another web design course, "Creating
and
 Deploying Interactive Online Materials for EFL Teaching," planned for
the
 next semester. We are hopefully starting out at the end of September.

 You can find more courses and more detailed information at our website.
 www.schiffman.biz

 May you have a good start tomorrow. May we all have a peaceful and
quiet
 year.

 Best -

 Lev