[etni] English teachers may 'mutiny'

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 07:16:47 +0200

English teachers may 'mutiny' over new literature section of matriculation
exam
The Jerusalem Post
Nov, 25, 2009

In what may be the beginning of a revolt by the country's English teachers,
over 30 English department heads at Jerusalem-area schools have signed a
petition saying they will refuse to implement a proposed revision of the
literature section for the English matriculation (bagrut) exams, because of
widespread dissatisfaction with the syllabus.

The petition, which was sent along with a letter two weeks ago to both
Education Minister Gideon Sa'ar and Education Ministry Director-General Dr.
Shimshon Shoshani, states that teachers' concerns over the new program have
not been addressed, save for "a few very minor alterations," and that the
ministry's English Inspectorate, with whom the teachers first discussed
their reservations, had given the issue "no real consideration."

"Although we all enjoy teaching literature and recognize its value, we
unanimously refuse to implement the program as it stands now," the letter
read.

To read the whole article, go to -
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1259010975321&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull