[etni] Re: Dovrat and English

  • From: Yisrael & Batya Medad <ybmedad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: greenelt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 04:20:08 +0200

Dovrat is a
bureaucratic

idea and hasn't been implemented.  It's a bad plan that won't improve
English.  Its "inventors" blame teachers for not working hard enough.
The NBA is new and isn't the cause of the low level of English.  The
problem doesn't start in high school.
The cause is the fundamental teaching methods in the general foundation
Hebrew studies and the foundation English teaching methods.  Israelis
children aren't given basic language skills in Hebrew, so they can't
transfer them to English.  I'm referring to grammar and composition
skills.  Then in English they're not taught basic phonetics and
grammar.  "Pidgin English" is acceptable, fluency over accuracy.  When I
get students in high school, even the best are linguistically deprived,
disabled, handicapped, not because of any primary problem.  It's the
result of the way they were educated, or not educated.
And this is a serious problem, because there's already a whole
generation of teachers lacking linguistic skills in Hebrew.
Batya

http://shilohmusings.blogspot.com/

http://me-ander.blogspot.com/