[etni] Re: Dialogue Journals?

  • From: "Adele Raemer and Laurie Levy" <raemer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <saragabai@xxxxxxxxx>, "'ETNI list'" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 08:26:54 +0300

Dear Sara,

Have you Googled this? I did and found an interesting article (albeit from
the 90's ) about the Effect of Using Dialog Journals on Writing Quality.
There are other things there, as well (I Googled: "Dialog Journal EFL")

I also found this , in Education World, that links SSR with dialog journal
writing: http://www.educationworld.com/a_curr/curr038.shtml

If you have Hedge's book :"Writing"  (OUP:1993) she has a segment on it, as
well.

In general, I like using Dialog Journal writing in my classrooms on all
levels (it is a truly heterogeneous activity - each person writes on their
own level). I try to start each day with 10 minutes of writing. I try to
encourage them to write without a prompt (free writing - whatever they want
to). I tell them that if they don't know a word in English, they can write
it in Hebrew (but only a word here and there). For those who complain that
they do not know what to write, I prepare prompts (What is your favorite
food? What did you do over the vacation? Who is your favorite singer and
why? Etc.) I collect 5 journals a day, (or, if you are teaching lots of
classes, take 2 from each class; or as many as you feel you can handle - or
begin doing it with only one of the classes) and read through them. I do NOT
correct ANYTHING - if I see a glaring mistake, I try to use it (correctly )
in the answer I write them, so they see how to use/ write the word properly,
etc.  I also try to write something that will relate to the kid personally,
and include a prompt that will encourage writing the next entry. It can be
done in conjunction with their extensive reading (sum up in a few words what
happened in your book and how you think it will continue or describe a new
character or setting, etc.) or in reaction to literature you are working on
in the classroom.

The important thing is that they realize that this is NOT for evaluation
purposes. They can make as many spelling and grammar mistakes as come out,
and it will still be FINE. The idea is encouraging fluency, encouraging
practice in writing (the more you write, the faster and better you get, in
most cases). It is also a wonderful way to develop a special relationship
with each of your pupils; allowing for the one on one time you do not often
get in a classroom.

I hope this has been of some help!

As ever,

Adele