[etni] Description compositions

  • From: Jack Pillemer <jackpil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: yehudit Hirshberg <udit_h@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Bat-sheva Fleischmann <shevvy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jack Pillemer (013)" <jackpil@xxxxxxx>, Julie Goodman Aharoni <goodman.julie@xxxxxxxxx>, "Leah Klein (2)" <elle2@xxxxxxxxxx>, "marylin Rosen (new)" <mrosen923@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Suzanne Sapir <sks528@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tami Epstein <tamarep@xxxxxxxxxx>, Esther Shaked <esther@xxxxxxxxxx>, ETNI posts <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 18:45:28 +0200

Dear ETNI folk,

I have been teaching and practicing description compositions with my 12th grade
classes and gave them the following topic:

 The Jerusalem Municipality, in order to encourage internal and external
tourism to the city, has called on residents to describe their favorite spots.
These short descriptions will be collected and made into a booklet.

As a Jerusalem resident, make your choice and submit your description.

They produced some very good work so I decided to put up some on the school
English site. You are invited to read  the few that answered my call from them
to email them to me.

www.schooly.co.il/boyer_english

click on STUDENTS

Click on JERUSALEM

Prior to the assignment,  scaffolding was provided for those who needed it .
Descriptions of people, places, events, and objects can all follow the
following pattern.

Paragraph 1 - reason for writing and focusing on the specific topic
Paragraph 2 - the concrete/physical/real/sensual aspects are described
Paragraph 3 - the abstract aspects/  the significance/meaning/ associations
are described
Paragraph 4 - closing the circle by relating to the first paragraph and then
moving beyond it

Each paragraph - but especially the 2nd and 3rd should contain the following:
A topic sentence (broad and general)
Restatement of the topic sentence in other words or a development/extension of
the idea
Specific detail or example should be added

This outline was intended as one possible suggestion only.
(I noticed that many pupils found it very helpful as a guide - more helpful
than I had thought. )

Jack Pillemer