[etni] Clarifications: Free software for your school:

  • From: Self-Access English Learning Center` <lewisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 23:11:22 +0200

Etnians,
  Following your inquiries, let me try to clarify a few points
concerning our free English learning software for schools.

Yes, our three programs, English for Beginners (up to kita heh),
English for School (kita vav to yud bet) and Business English (high
level) are absolutely without charge. You can have a site license for
all the computers in your school.  It's yours for the asking. That's
all there is to it. The programs can be downloaded from
www.english4students.com.

English for School is essentially the same program which was approved
by the Ministry some years ago. But we have added some features:

Phonetic transcription: This feature is not approved by the Ministry.
So if you prefer, we can give you a version without this. I happen to
think that it helps pupils, but the Ministry disagrees, so out it
goes. Their word is law.

Visual Mnemonics: This is a powerful system of memory aids, using
images to connect English words with words in Hebrew. We didn't
invent this system. It was invented by the ancient Romans. In fact,
the first book on the subject was written by Cicero. As far as I
know, our software is the only program in Israel that incorporates
this system. But, again, if you don't like it, we will be glad to
take it out for you.

Voice:  The voice is partly recorded human voice and partly
computer-generated voice. The computer-generated is very high
quality, and I can hardly tell the difference. The regular version
uses British accent, which is still the standard throughout the
world. (I have to recognize this, although I hail from the
California.) But if you prefer, we can substitute an American accent.
Different slopes for different folks.

The program is really designed for individual use, at home or in the
computer lab. But some lessons could be profitably used in frontal
teaching with your barco.

Please let me know if your school would like to have it. Just tell me
which version you want and how many activation codes to include. Feel
free to call me at 050-6734414.

By the way, we have no intention to damage the parnassah of the
companies which produce pricey educational software for
schools.  Most of them also produce software for export, so they will get by.

Yours for success in English,

Laurin Lewis
Developer, Self-Access English Learning Center

** ETNI Blog and Poll
   http://ask-etni.blogspot.co.il/
** Etni homepage - http://www.etni.org
** post to ETNI List - etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx