[etni] Re: Cannot vs. Can not

  • From: "Chaim Kleg" <chaim58@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sbshai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 22:33:35 +0200

As a former journalist and professional writer (also in the present), I can
verify that "cannot" is the proper form. If you have any doubts, please
refer to the AP Style Book. I have attached a summary of the basic rules.
Depending on the level you are teaching, you might consider posting this for
your students.

As per assessment, I would correct the student; however, at the L2 level it
would be inappropriate to deduct for this type of error. It is an issue of
style, not grammar. Deducting points for such an issue at the L2 level is
quite criminal - in my opinion.

Please contact me if you have any questions on this matter.

Best Regards,

Chaim Kleg