[etni] Bloopers

  • From: michele ben <benfam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ETNI Discussion List <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:26:41 +0300

At the risk of getting some of you angry, I'd like to say
that giggling about pupils bloopers is not disrespectful.  I
think that there is a lot to learn from the different types
of mistakes that kids make.  Often a perfectly
comprehensible essay has a ridiculous blooper in it -- and
then the blooper is even funnier in the context of the nice
writing.  There are so few funny things about our jobs, I
don't see any reason not to laugh sometimes at the funny way
English can be used by our kids.  I use the kids mistakes
for teaching - error analysis - and they learn a lot from
it.  We often have a good laugh together as in the case of
the pupil who consistently used the word "fanny" instead of
"funny."  Sometimes the most ridiulous thing comes out of my
mouth in the classroom as well - and it warrants a good
laugh by me and the kids together.  I am always very careful
never to use errors of someone who would really be
embarrassed or hurt.  If in doubt, I discreetly get
permission.  And of course everything is used anonymously.
Here are two of my favorites:
"The Israeli government is always unrinal."
and - in an essay one girl wrote about someone driving
"uncarefully."  I actually read the whole essay, knew
something was off but couldn't find it!  I read through the
essay very "carefully" and found that extremely intelligent
error!  And got a really good laugh in the process...(so did
the class) and this gave us a lesson on word construction in
English!
Michele