[etni] Bagrut grades

  • From: David Graniewitz <graniewitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 14:03:21 +0300 (IDT)

I am grateful to Yvonne who broached the subject of the par
between the "tsiyun Shnati" and the actual grade on the
Bagrut this summer (Moed A at least).

I taught a weak 4 point class that did Module C in the
winter. There the grades were more or less the same.
However, when it came to Modules D & E it was another story.
I know that I had been a tad too generous in some cases, but
I could not have foreseen that one pupil to whom I had given
a grade of 79 on the E part (which of course included not
only grades on tests and Matkonot, but also behaviour,
attitude and the project) could end up with a grade of 13 on
the actual exam. He was the only one to flop badly.

Part of the problem might be that today we relate to each
part seperately. In the olden days, we would not know how
much a pupil got for each unseen of the Bagrut (there were 3
in the old test too), so it was possible for a pupil to
flunk one badly but do fine on the others. We would only see
his overall grade.

Still, the exam results did not make enjoyable reading.

What say you?

David Graniewitz
Jerusalem

Come On You Spurs!