[etni] Bagrut discussion

  • From: "Ehrlich Family" <ehrlich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 13:21:11 +0200

Dear All,
I have been reading the comments about the bagrut and proctoring.
1.  All good exams test intelligence as well.  Otherwise just have the students
translate the text.
    This may not seem fair as there are some students whose English is better
than their intelligence.
    Shouldn't we only be testing that?  No.  We can't.  It's not fair but the
world expects you to deduce
       and infer from the material  read.(as in questions with math?  "What?
They expect us to know math?)
2.  I felt the exam was typical of previous years.  There have always been
ambiguous questions.
    This is the nature  of our brains.  We all think differently and come up
with different answers.  No test
    will be fair.  I myself did not get 100.
3.  English teachers complain a lot.  Some math exams and tanach exams have
been impossible  in some years.
    This test was not that different than most.
4.  My students did not find the modules difficult.  Quite the contrary, they
felt both c and d were ridiculously easy.
    E as well.  My only criticism was that the modules were easier than their
parallels of the old exam.
5.  To Bari.  Of course each mistake is worth a lot.  But remember your simple
math-  It's really only
    worth a third that amount as is their final grade in each module.  In the
end it's the same.
6.  I do not agree with the Baal Peh exam.  Why can't  these students have a
regular exam with a tape
    and the proctor looking up words for them and then have Shichtuv like there
exists in other subjects?
    Sometimes these students do much better than students who are stronger than
they are since they did
    not encounter some of the more complicated questions.  The reverse is also
true.
7.  Proctoring:  Although I don't want extra work- who does?  think that it
would save the country a bundle
    to have teachers proctoring.  Remember you would proctor only at the hours
you would normally
    be teaching that class.  We teach till 5:00 in our school.  How many
bagrut exams are in the afternoon?
Sorry to have written so much-  But those who don't want to read-delete anyway.
Yours,
Adinah