[etni] Advice needed

  • From: Sumartin <Sumartin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 11:36:48 +0200

After many years of teaching high school English here in Israel and as a
graduate of Avril Rose's course for teaching dyslexics to read and now as a
retiree, I am working as a volunteer at a primary school which has an
overwhelming majority of Ethiopian students.  They have a teacher of English in
their first years who does not teach them very much.  The result is that nearly
whole classes of 5th and 6th grade students cannot read English. They do not
even know the ABC.  (He says he is teaching them Oxford English but we all wish
that teach and English had some small connection in his classes.  We have even
seen English-Hebrew lists of words which have no connection to each other that
come out of his classroom.)  He has been there for many years and so they
cannot get rid of him.  The 5th and 6th grade teacher must teach the relevant
curriculum but she is speaking to a small minority.  The principal is
fantastic. Does anyone have any suggesions on how this situation can be
resolved.  Needless to say these kids cannot afford private lessons.  I am
working one on one with a few of the non-readers but this is only a very small
drop in the bucket.  The volunteers who are trying to help students prepare for
tests say that the work in no way relates to where the students are.
HELP!

Sue from Netanya