[etni] A Summer's Reading - sharing

  • From: קובי לביא <kobilavy@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, etni.list@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 00:14:55 +0200

Hi Everyone,
I just finished teaching the short story to my 5 point 11th graders and
would like to share with you what I did with them.

For a post reading task I asked them (like they recommend in the ECB book)
to come up with a task which can be a scene from the story which they would
have to dramatize, a poem, a letter from George and so on but that they
would have to present it to class (I gave them points for oral presentation
as well). They did terrific things ? wrote poems accompanied by music,
dramatized scenes from the story and much more. It was so much fun to see in
class and they were thrilled to prepare it all.

One of the students made this amazing trailer of a supposed movie about the
short story, you have to see it J

it's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XqlrmrXOwE .

Another thing I did with them for post reading is we watched the movie "The
Freedom Writers" with Hillary Swank, which is also about a group of kids
from a very poor neighborhood who change their life thanks to reading?
sounds familiar? They then had to find the similarities between the movie
and the story and we had a wonderful discussion about it.

Hope this is helpful. Have a great Shabat

Kobi Lavy

Mekif Daled, Ashdod